at 11:04 this morning i received a call from the principal of rhyan’s school.
he had brought something in his backpack he shouldn’t have,
something he’d been playing with outside yesterday at his dad’s.
something he just happened to forget was there & forgot to take out.
what was it?
oh — just an old [not live] 1940’s era hand grenade.
while sitting in class rhyan realized it was in the the side pocket
and panicked, asking his friend what he should do with it.
his friend was so afraid he asked to go to the bathroom,
and went straight to the front office to tell the principal.
the entire school was evacuated, the police were called.
rhyan had to meet with school officials & police officers,
to give a statement and recount the facts.
when i arrived i walked by a room where he was sitting alone,
and my heart just broke.
i met with the principal who assured me [after he’d talked to rhyan]
he realized the act wasn’t premeditated or malicious.
rhyan had to get all his things out of his locker and leave with me,
since we don’t yet know what disciplinary actions will be taken.
they’re meeting tonight & will let us know in the morning,
he could be expelled or just suspended for a few weeks.
rhyan’s beside himself, crying & obviously upset …
his dad and i sat down with him and talked it out,
and we were [surprisingly] calm while letting him give the details.
we stressed how disappointed we were in him,
how this is a learning experience & we still love him the same.
i felt it was key for us to keep our composure,
because i know his heart & know he’s a good kid …
i just can’t help but think — why today?
- inmyopinion likes this
- seemeghanblog likes this
- kmsmalls likes this
- gypsyred said: thinking of rhyan. hope he’s ok.
- sunnycat likes this
- justjules said: What a bummer. So sorry for you both. You are a wonderful Mom and he is a great kid. :)
- tomsparks likes this
- thenatwolff likes this
- or-doesitexplode said: poor thing! i feel so bad for him :( hope everything turns out ok!
- or-doesitexplode likes this
- jackiebarnes said: Oh no, my heart goes out to both of you. Even we know he wouldn’t mean harm to anyone and we haven’t even met him! Sending hugs to you & sweet Rhyan. XOXO.
- jenniferaross likes this
- onetruebetty said: Sending you lots of love today grace!
- onetruebetty likes this
- lifebyliz likes this
- emilyposts likes this
- turningback said: Didn’t have the heart to like this. I’m so sorry- my heart felt for you when I read this. Sending hugs and thoughts your way.
- sodamn-lucky likes this
- quyenhuynh likes this
- relovingit said: Oh, Grace, on my gosh. I am so sorry. What a terrible coincidence, and what a good, good kid you have for going straight to the principal. I hope you can (maybe, maybe?) chuckle about this someday. Maybe? But for now I just feel for you and Rhyan.
- relovingit likes this
- asitypethis said: I hope they can look at his past behavior & see this wasn’t done on propose. Hopefully nothing bad happens and he is able to return to school soon.
- asitypethis likes this
- emphasisadded likes this
- babbleliciousness likes this
- saraplainandtall likes this
- stellarandblonde said: So sorry for this tough situation you’re in. Sounds like you did all the right things as a parent though. Sending good vibes your way!!!
- practicallydunn likes this
- abnormallyyours said: My heart goes out to your sweet boy. I’m wishing the best results out of such a crummy situation. xo
- 100cupsofcoffee likes this
- whiskeybentandhellbound said: Poor kid! Fingers crossed it all works out.
- kimber-leigh likes this
- theladieloves said: What a bummer - sorry to hear this happened :(
- champagnetoasts said: oh, grace. sending love and support to you today.
- champagnetoasts likes this
- firstcomesfashion likes this
- theladieloves likes this
- georgiegirlnyc said: Oh no, poor Rhyan. I hope they take it easy considering it was an honest mistake & he knew he shouldn’t have it at school.
- maryanne likes this
- awaywegotoraleigh said: Thinking of you and your sweet family.
- awaywegotoraleigh likes this
- phillyfilly said: oh honey [the both of you honies!]. hopefully this turns out to be one of those character building learning experiences for everyone involved. stay strong!
- happinesshighlights said: thinking of you and rhyan and praying everything turns out ok :)
- colormecozy likes this
- happinesshighlights likes this
- deathbycupcakes said: oh Grace, I am so sorry. thinking of your family.
- phillyfilly likes this
- thebaucompair likes this
- thosepaisleydays said: Poor guy :( Hugs to you guys, it sounds like you handled it in a fantastic manner.
- my-little-kumquat said: ugh Grace that is so tough. I am so sorry you guys are going through this.